Hi Jan,

On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 04:50:59PM +0200, Jan Kratochvil wrote:
> To make DWZ better consumable it needs to have the partial units separately
> parseable. That way they can be shared at IR level and not just at DWARF
> level
> That means:
>  * DW_TAG_partial_unit should have DW_AT_language.
>  * DW_TAG_partial_unit must contain only types (struct/class).
>    Currently they contain for example also static constant variables but when
>    you parse such independent DW_TAG_partial_unit into which dictionary you
>    will register such variable? That makes no sense.

You might want to look at the experiments to do something like that
from Tom de Vries:
https://sourceware.org/pipermail/dwz/2020q1/000579.html
https://sourceware.org/pipermail/dwz/2020q1/000568.html

> It is all about engineering effort. I agree if the support of DWZ
> was trivial (or there were unlimited engineering resources) then DWZ
> is really better than -fdebug-types-section (except it would need a
> DWZ tool with less bugs and better coding practices). But reality
> shows the DWZ support is not trivial engineering resources for
> Fedora are very limited and so we have to decide whether the serious
> effort to support DWZ is better spent on DWZ or on making the
> debuggers better/really usable.

Hacking on dwz and supporting partial units and DWARF supplemential
files in debugger like tools isn't trivial. But it is IMHO also not
such a big effort that we have to drop everything else. Lets see if we
can work together on this.

Cheers,

Mark