Am 01.10.20 um 07:22 schrieb Chris Murphy:
> On Wed, Sep 30, 2020 at 4:22 PM Marius Schwarz <fedora...@cloud-foo.de> wrote:
>> Am 01.10.20 um 00:02 schrieb Chris Murphy:
>>
>> I made some more tests. It's a race, 1 out of 10 tries succeeds and the
>> chance that it does is improoved by inserting the usb drive while being
>> in the bios.
>>
>> The F31 grub files i exchanged do not seem to have something to do with it.
>>
>> The race happens with the same probability regardless of GRUB Fedora
>> release version?
>>
>> No, F31 boots everytime under any condition. It's only for F32/33 afaict.
>>
>> I tested it with the same stick, to avoid a problem with the stick
>> electronics itself.
> OK so some kind of regression in GRUB, but also a firmware bug because
> otherwise many other people would run into this. It's GRUB 2.02 in
> Fedora 31 and GRUB 2.04 in Fedora 32. So it could be an upstream bug.
It's M$ firmware, so be sure it has bugs. ( could tell you about one
very nasty )

Until F32 i had no problem booting any livedisk, so something changed.
> Where I'd start is making a livecd-iso-to-disk based USB stick, from
> the Fedora 32 ISO that you already know fails, and make sure it still
> fails when created this way. If it doesn't, then it's probably not
> GRUB it's something else about the image.
>
> But assuming it fails, you now have an easily modifiable USB stick,
> it's read-writable, so you can just copy each test grubx64.efi binary
> onto the stick.
>
> You could start with this, pretty sure it'll fail too. So just extract
> the grubx64.efi from grub2-efi-x64-2.04-1.fc32.x86_64.rpm and replace
> the one on the USB stick.
> https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=1356278

I replace anything besides  boot and grub.cfg , and it's the same ..
inserted before powerup => not working, inserted while in bios => working

and this does not change if altered or unaltered. AFAIk the MBR ( or
alike ) has a portion of code in it.  sure it's not there and the
bootloader needs to be updated to have effect?

Is it possible to boot from the stick and then perform a grub-install
with an old grub?

best regards,
Marius