Am 02.10.20 um 11:12 schrieb Petr Pisar:

>>> This attempt failed too:
>>>
>>> #  grub2-install /dev/sda
>>> grub2-install: Fehler: /usr/lib/grub/x86_64-efi/modinfo.sh existiert
>>> nicht. Bitte geben Sie --target oder --directory an.
>>>
>>> and that file seems not to be part of any package. There is only one for
>>> "i386-pc".
>> You can't (and must not!) use grub2-install on an EFI system.
> Of course you have. How else would you get GRUB EFI executable onto the boot
> partition and register it into boot environments?
>
> But the correct invocation for EFI systems is different. You just use
> "grub2-install" without the disk device name.
If you do not state the devicename, how does grub choose the correct
drive? I don't want to overwrite the bootloader on the ssd.

by entering "grub2-install /dev/sdb" where sdb was the usb drive, grub2
removed the working boot config from .. you guessed it by now.. the ssd :(

The repair try, done by the docs.fp.org....bootloading-with-grub2 guide,
honestly said, it wants to install i386 on a clearly x64  system.

FYI: Not working without manual corrections

insmod lvm
insmod xfs
set root=(hd0,gpt3)
configfile /grub2/grub.cfg
linux /vmlinuz-5.8.10....
initrd /initramfs-5.8.10....
boot

Q: Why is configfile read, but not used if anything important is in it
i.e. the sysroot options passed to "linux" to find the decrypted luks
partition?

AFTER this: i managed to boot the system, by manually mounting the dm-0
device to /sysroot

BUT:

grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

grub2-install --boot-directory=/boot /dev/nvm0n1

did not succeed in recreating a working boot environment, in fact, nothing
changed. Still not presenting a grub menu, where grub2-mkconfig said, it
created the menu.
(i hate lying tools)

Q: What did anaconda different on the first installation of Fedora, to
make it work?

--> HELP needed <--

Lesson learned: once it's on a system, don't play with grub2-install.

Marius