On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 12:30 PM, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would expect that the i686 install will remain the most common so
> long as that is what the Fedora project promotes.

I wouldn't. We can actually look a little deeper at some of the
download stats and take the concept of "promotion" out of the
equation. Lets just look at KDE live downloads from our bittorrent
server for Fedora 13.  These downloads are not "promoted"... neither
the 32 bit nor the 64bit of the KDE spin get any promotion on the
front page nor for that matter does _any_ torrent ticket we offer.
Fedora-13-x86_64-Live-KDE: 4591 downloads on our torrent tracker
Fedora-13-i686-Live-KDE: 8712 downloads on our torrent tracker

So what is that nearly 2/1? You look at all the other unpromoted live
spins (anything but the Desktop live spin) on the torrent tracker and
you see the same thing.  Among the people most likely to look past
what we promote..and are willing to spend the clicks to find the
install target image from our bittorrent server that they feel best
fits their needs...they are _still_ grabbing 32bit primarily. That
speaks volumes as to where things are at right now in terms of
architecture penetration.

More over.. the number of 32bit DVD downloads on the tracker continues
to outstrip the 64bit DVD
Fedora-13-i386-DVD: 31452
Fedora-13-x86_64-DVD: 20485

Again neither of these are _promoted_ and in fact that exist together
in the download options webpage where bittorrent formats are
presented.  It's very difficult for me to look at the split between
32bit and 64bit downloads in the bittorrent tracker for a given
install target category and ascribe the difference in numbers to a
promotional bias to any of them other than the Desktop live image
which is the only one we promote (we don't even promote it as a
torrent.) If anything I would expect the 32bit Desktop Live torrent
download activity to be lower because of the promotion of the direct
download link of that particular iso.  The splits in 32bit and 64bit
download activity in the torrent server is very suggestive of a
continued preference for 32bit installs regardless of what we promote.

-jef