On Mo, 2020-11-23 at 16:43 +0000, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> I mentioned previously that we don't intend to take it. If no one else
>
> claims it, then when it is finally deleted, we'll drop the dep.

Following up on this (sorry for off topic):

You mentioned also that the successor to numad was automatic numa balancing via
kernel facilities.

However I did not find any meaningful documentation how this is exactly done or
how this can be tuned, if at all.

I found the general overview here, which gives a good general introduction to
numa but not how auto placement works:

https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/admin-guide/mm/numaperf.html

I found also
https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/admin-guide/mm/numa_memory_policy.html

which talks about possible memory policys at greath length but also doesn't go
into the topic of auto balancing.
At least numactl is mentioned which can be used to manually tweak the memory
policy, but I don't know how that would
interfere with some automagic placement?

Am I missing something or is there no documentation on how the kernel handles
this?
Thanks in advance for any pointers!

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Regards

Sven Kieske
Systementwickler

Mittwald CM Service GmbH & Co. KG
Königsberger Straße 4-6
32339 Espelkamp

Tel.: 05772 / 293-900
Fax: 05772 / 293-333

https://www.mittwald.de

Geschäftsführer: Robert Meyer, Florian Jürgens

St.Nr.: 331/5721/1033, USt-IdNr.: DE814773217, HRA 6640, AG Bad Oeynhausen
Komplementärin: Robert Meyer Verwaltungs GmbH, HRB 13260, AG Bad Oeynhausen

Informationen zur Datenverarbeitung im Rahmen unserer Geschäftstätigkeit
gemäß Art. 13-14 DSGVO sind unter www.mittwald.de/ds abrufbar.