On Tue, Nov 24, 2020 at 08:06:41PM +0100, Joël Krähemann wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 24, 2020 at 3:27 PM Neal Gompa <ngomp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > That being said, I have spoken to a few audio engineers, and basically
> > none of them use ALSA directly. They can't because ALSA doesn't
> > support mixing properly, among other things. Most of them use JACK or
> > PulseAudio, depending on their requirements. PipeWire is intended to
> > simplify the pro audio case while bringing those benefits to casual
> > audiophiles who use PulseAudio.
>
> I really doubt that you listen to youtube while creating music. What do
> you want to mix? Might be for some exotic JACK setup.

FWIW, as an amateur musician, bandmates send me youtube links for songs
they want to cover, and as part of learning the song I may play along
with the youtube video, record it to an Ardour track, etc.

All currently doable on Fedora but there are some hoops to jump through.

(Very much looking forward to PipeWire.)

--b.