* Adam Williamson:

> See I thought that too at first, and was going to cite it, but then I
> thought, wait. The problem isn't that the update *actually broke the
> ABI*, right? The problem is that it *unnecessarily bumped the soname*.
> I think abidiff's job is to catch the *opposite* problem, isn't it?
> Where the ABI changes but the soname isn't bumped.

Eh, the soname is part of the ABI provided by the package.  Historically
symbol versions were even tied to sonames (but glibc 2.30 did away with
that because all it did was preventing valid programs from loading).

Maybe the ABI checker employed here doesn't verify it because it assumes
that part is checked as part of the RPM dependencies?

Thanks,
Florian
--
Red Hat GmbH, https://de.redhat.com/ , Registered seat: Grasbrunn,
Managing Directors: Charles Cachera, Brian Klemm, Laurie Krebs, Michael O'Neill