On Wed, 2020-12-23 at 00:49 +0000, Peter Robinson wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 23, 2020 at 12:37 AM Peter Robinson
> <pbrobin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Dec 23, 2020 at 12:20 AM Kevin Fenzi <ke...@scrye.com>
> > wrote:

> > > Accounts can be disabled two ways:
> > >
> > > 1. The user logs in and marks the account 'inactive'. To change
> > > this
> > > back to active they have to reset their password and login again
> > > and
> > > change it back.
> > >
> > > 2. An admin can change users to 'disabled' where they cannot
> > > change that
> > > without intervention.
> >
> > In both cases all ACLs should be removed, if in the former they
> > wish
> > to have what ever access back there can be a documented process to
> > file a ticket for it.
>
> Just to expand on this a little. Removing access from people that
> have
> left the project either because they've decided they're able to
> continue to contribute (option 1) or because something has triggered
> an admin process (option 2) isn't a slight on the person involved in
> any of this process and removing a well earned ACL doesn't remove any
> of the contributions or the value they provided in the past.
>
> But we have to realise than inactive accounts may mean associated
> inactive email addresses or other things associated with a person
> which may be open to compromise as well and we need to protect the
> project as a whole as after-all if a fellow contributor has moved on
> to better things account is used to comprise everything where does
> that leave us?

Maybe mandatory password/key rotation is an option? With your account
disabled after a grace period if the password is expired.

We can start with enforcing this for people who have membership in
important groups (e.g. provenpackager, sponsors).

--
Michel Alexandre Salim
profile: https://keyoxide.org/mic...@michel-slm.name