On Thu, Dec 31, 2020 at 12:54 PM Vitaly Zaitsev via devel
<devel@lists.fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On 31.12.2020 12:37, Peter Robinson wrote:
> > Of course it could, who do you propose to do that work and support all
> > the various options and code required?
> It can be easily installed during Fedora installation by executing the
> following:
>
> 1. Make sure the ESP partition has more than 512 MB of free space
> (systemd-boot uses an ESP partition to store kernels; the separate /boot
> is no longer needed).
> 2. Add Fedora boot flags instead of the /etc/default/grub to the
> /etc/kernel/cmdline.
> 3. Install systemd-boot to the ESP partition: bootctl --path=/boot/efi
> install.
> 4. Execute kernel-install scripts (I think this stage will be the same
> as under GRUB2): kernel-install add $(uname -r) /lib/modules/$(uname
> -r)/vmlinuz.
> 5. Installation completed.

As Peter said this was already discussed in the "The future of legacy
BIOS support in Fedora" thread [0].  I mentioned there that Anaconda
already supports an option to use extlinux, so the same could be done
for sd-boot.

It shouldn't be a lot of work as you mentioned but someone will have
to propose the patches to Anaconda.

[0]:
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@lists.fedoraproject.org/thread/QBANCA2UAJ5ZSMDVVARLIYAJE66TYTCD/

Best regards,