> Well, if the modules can work with PipeWire's PulseAudio replacement, then
> they ought to be in a subpackage of pulseaudio, yes. (But are they
> binary-compatible or do they actually need to be rebuilt against
> pipewire-pulseaudio?)
>
>         Kevin Kofler

I suppose I should have looked a bit more into this before opening this thread,
but oh well, no use crying over spilled milk. I looked into how PW replicates
PA's module loading... and turns out it doesn't (
https://github.com/PipeWire/pipewire/blob/master/src/modules/module-protocol-pulse/module.c#L146
 ). It simply uses an strcmp to check for a single module, which it then
replicates.

However, I'm genuinely weirded out by this because I have been successfully
able to load and use the previously mentioned echo cancel module on both Debian
and Arch and looking into their package source, nothing seems to be that
functionally different from Fedora's. I fear this means the issue falls way
outside the jurisdiction of the project, because even if the modules were
decoupled, one would still have no way of loading them, so I guess I'll really
just swallow the pill and go back to PA. Nonetheless, if someone feels very
adventurous and has a better grasp on things than me, I'd love to understand
what do those packages have that this doesn't, because perhaps then whatever
this is could be incorporated in this package too.

Lóránt