On Sat, Apr 10, 2021 at 08:26:02PM +0200, Vitaly Zaitsev via devel wrote:
> Today I found[1] that the grub* and shim* packages are now protected
> in Fedora 34 and cannot be removed by dnf. I think this change
> should be reverted before the F34 release, because some users don't
> use Grub at all.

Protected doesn't mean that it's impossible to remove -- you can change the
DNF protected_packages option temporarily, or simply

  rm /etc/dnf/protected.d/{shim,grub2*}.conf

before removing them. That's an extra step for an edge case, which I think
is okay given the benefit for the general case.

--
Matthew Miller
<mat...@fedoraproject.org>