On Tuesday, April 13, 2021 3:50:18 PM CEST Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Neal Gompa:
>
> > As I said previously[1], I think doing autoconf upgrades would be less
> > painful if we always did that.
> >
> > [1]:
> > https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@lists.fedoraproject.org/message/ZZG3SNLFS7BSXQ3JFJDOWUS3WWGTGLR2/
>
> I think that's not actually true: If we do not build from source, it
> doesn't matter if the compiler produces a working executable program
> from the old sources.

This is interesting perspective, but I doubt that changing the status quo
would bring much practical difference.  As long as there are no problems,
people don't review the generated files like configure, config.status, ...
no matter if autoreconfed in Fedora, or upstream.

Doing so may also bring an additional level of non-determinism.

For packages that don't patch auto* inputs nowadays it can bring
significant build-time problems.

The problem is that autoconf macros are hard, often misunderstood, some
things change, older auto* versions are more tolerant, ... and fixing
FTBFSs is non-trivial for many package maintainers.

Btw., the fact that there are even now so many packages BuildRequiring
autotools brings the significant fear from actually updating autotools in
distributions (contrary to what I would wish, e.g. in EL).

> Apart from the build-from-source principle, there are other advantages.
> It may be easier to adopt new architectures and toolchain versions.

At least config.sub and config.guess are automatically replaced by
%configure even now.

Pavel