On Fri, May 7, 2021 at 12:17 PM Jerry James <loganje...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, May 7, 2021 at 9:45 AM Michael Catanzaro <mcatanz...@gnome.org> wrote:
> > Um... not that I know of.
> >
> > Honestly, I don't know anything about GLib 1 other than that it's very
> > old. I think if I were trying to port Sagemath, I would just upgrade
> > the build system to GLib 2 and see how many compiler errors you get....
>
> It turns out that surf-geometry is the only package on that list that
> directly depends on glib 1.  The others depend on surf-geometry,
> directly or transitively.  That's a very old (and, frankly, buggy)
> piece of software there.  I'll see what can be done with it.

GLib 2 was quite compatible with GLib 1 - there were lots of additions
but few breaking changes. But it looks like the dependency in
surf-geometry is a GTK 1 user interface (written in C++ with a bit of
custom glue, with Xlib usage mixed in.) and a GTK 1 to GTK 2 port is
more work. Not that hard for someone experienced in the GTK *of that
time* , but at this point, it would be like translating Chaucer into
Elizabethan English. And porting to GTK 3 or GTK 4 would be a bigger
job. I think this pretty clearly falls into the "if someone cared
about this GUI, they would have ported it from GTK 1 long ago" bucket.

But it also looks like it could just be disabled without affecting
anything else.

Owen