Hm, maybe it’s still rolling out? I fired up a new centos container and got:

[root@4c38ec50ea30 /]# more /etc/os-release
NAME="CentOS Linux"
VERSION="8"
ID="centos"
ID_LIKE="rhel fedora"
VERSION_ID="8"
PLATFORM_ID="platform:el8"
PRETTY_NAME="CentOS Linux 8"
ANSI_COLOR="0;31"
CPE_NAME="cpe:/o:centos:centos:8"
HOME_URL="https://centos.org/";
BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.centos.org/";
CENTOS_MANTISBT_PROJECT="CentOS-8"
CENTOS_MANTISBT_PROJECT_VERSION="8"
[root@4c38ec50ea30 /]# dnf install cmake
Failed to set locale, defaulting to C.UTF-8
CentOS Linux 8 - AppStream
                                   825 kB/s | 6.3 MB     00:07
CentOS Linux 8 - BaseOS
                                   262 kB/s | 2.3 MB     00:08
CentOS Linux 8 - Extras
                                    41 kB/s | 9.6 kB     00:00
Dependencies resolved.
===================================================================================================================================================
 Package                                Architecture                 Version
                             Repository                       Size
===================================================================================================================================================
Installing:
 cmake                                  x86_64
3.11.4-7.el8                            appstream                       8.1 M
Installing dependencies:
 cmake-data                             noarch
3.11.4-7.el8                            appstream                       1.3 M
 cmake-filesystem                       x86_64
3.11.4-7.el8                            appstream                        40 k
 cmake-rpm-macros                       noarch
3.11.4-7.el8                            appstream                        39 k
 emacs-filesystem                       noarch
1:26.1-5.el8                            baseos                           69 k
 libuv                                  x86_64
1:1.38.0-2.el8                          appstream                       151 k

Transaction Summary
Install  6 Packages

Total download size: 9.7 M
Installed size: 29 M