Hi Zbyszek,

reply inline

On Wed, Jun 2, 2021 at 5:42 PM Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek <
zbys...@in.waw.pl> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 02, 2021 at 01:31:15PM -0000, Benjamin Beasley wrote:
> > > So, it doesn't really matter if two source files are distributed under
> the GPLv2+ license.
> > > The resulting binary (i.e. /usr/bin/cdparanoia) will always be GPLv2.
> > > […]
> > > But Licensing Guidelines make clear that the License: field refers to
> the
> > > binary packages not source ones.
> > >
> > > BR,
> > >
> > > Andrea
> >
> > The “effective license” approach you advocated is not mentioned in the
> packaging guidelines but has historical support in the wiki (
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing:FAQ#What_is_.22effective_license.22_and_do_I_need_to_know_that_for_the_License:_tag.3F).
> It has also come up on the fedora-legal list recently (
> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/le...@lists.fedoraproject.org/thread/W57JRNLWVOT55D7TDF7VYFMJT5QMBEGR/
> ).
>
> FWIW, the licensing guidelines live on the wiki. There is nothing
> "historical" about the Licensing:FAQ document, it is still the official
> guide of how to interpret the Licensing:Main page.
>
> I know Ben wrote something that disagrees with the document, but
> I think he is wrong. It also goes against the long-established practice.
> And if we want to change the rules, the document that specifies them
> should be changed, a post on the mailing list is not enough.
>
> > There is, I think, a valid question of how much mechanistic detail to
> apply to documenting the source files *that contribute to the binary RPM
> contents.* One approach, which I have favored in my packages, exhaustively
> lists licenses of such files. The other, which you have advocated,
> simplifies the license field into an “effective license” when clearly
> appropriate. Both philosophies seem to be well-established as acceptable.
> My view is therefore this patch seems to be correct but not absolutely
> required.
>
> No, the patch is wrong. It's not super harmful, but it's still wrong.

So what should be the correct License then? According to [1], the one
possibility is

  License: (GPLv2 and GPLv2+) and LGPLv2

but according to [2] point 2, this should be shortened to

  License: GPLv2 and LGPLv2

because GPLv2 is stricter. Should the patch be reverted with the comment
explaining multiple licensing situations?

Regards,
Jiri

[1]
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/LicensingGuidelines/#_mixed_source_licensing_scenario