On 7/27/21 6:23 PM, David Airlie wrote:
Hi,

I've been using f34 with gnome/wayland session on a 16MB machine which
has 8GB zram swap configured.

If I build anything large inside my desktop environment (llvm/clang)
from a gnome-terminal, systemd-oomd blows away my whole desktop slice.
This seems overly hostile.

Now in theory I can use systemd-run to run a shell but my
understanding is the DE is meant to be smarter here.

Is it at least launching firefox etc in new cgroups or are all
processes on my desktop in one big cgroup?

IIRC, gnome-terminal supposed to put each tab into a new cgroup. And Gnome would create cgroup for each desktop application started via Gnome shell or glib functions. While it's still a bit fragile and there's a lot of ways to escape (i.e. xdg-open, third-party application launchers, starting apps from the terminal, etc.), normal use in Gnome should work just fine.

---
From your description, something obviously went wrong: either assignment of cgroups has failed and everything is in the same big group, or sd-oomd made a bad shot. systemd-cgls should show which it is.

For the former, I happen to see at least one case where this outright fails - some SELinux user roles don't have access to the required systemd dbus interface and method call with cgroup assignment couldn't be sent. For the latter, I noticed that on my old hw (8GB ram) sd-oomd always preferred to kill firefox instead of gcc. Something made cgroup with firefox less likeable ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Even if it launched gnome-terminal in another group I assume this
would result in it blowing away all my open terminals just to kill the
compiler/linker that is consuming all the RAM/swap. Again this seems
overly hostile.

Any ideas other than campaigning for systemd-oomd to be turned off again?

Dave.

With best regards,
Aleksei Bavshin