On Wed, Jul 28, 2021 at 12:14 PM Aleksei Bavshin
<aleba...@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On 7/27/21 6:23 PM, David Airlie wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been using f34 with gnome/wayland session on a 16MB machine which
> > has 8GB zram swap configured.
> >
> > If I build anything large inside my desktop environment (llvm/clang)
> > from a gnome-terminal, systemd-oomd blows away my whole desktop slice.
> > This seems overly hostile.
> >
> > Now in theory I can use systemd-run to run a shell but my
> > understanding is the DE is meant to be smarter here.
> >
> > Is it at least launching firefox etc in new cgroups or are all
> > processes on my desktop in one big cgroup?
>
> IIRC, gnome-terminal supposed to put each tab into a new cgroup. And
> Gnome would create cgroup for each desktop application started via Gnome
> shell or glib functions.
> While it's still a bit fragile and there's a lot of ways to escape (i.e.
> xdg-open, third-party application launchers, starting apps from the
> terminal, etc.), normal use in Gnome should work just fine.
>
> ---
>  From your description, something obviously went wrong: either
> assignment of cgroups has failed and everything is in the same big
> group, or sd-oomd made a bad shot. systemd-cgls should show which it is.

Thanks for the hint, systemd-cgls at least makes it appear as if everything
is in different slice

─user.slice
│ └─user-1000.slice
│   ├─user@1000.service
│   │ ├─session.slice

│   │ ├─app.slice

│   │ │ ├─app-org.gnome.Terminal.slice
│   │ │ │ ├─vte-spawn-f4a41678-fa09-4ab7-b6d4-d89e18bdb5f4.scope

I do find it strange it picks
Killed
/user.slice/user-1000.slice/user@1000.service/session.slice/org.gnome.Shell@wayland.service

I might have to dig into systemd-oomd to see why it picks totally the
wrong option here.

Is there a command to list the current memory usage for each cgroup?

Dave.