On 8/17/21 9:37 AM, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
Hi Florian and Florian, Adam, Don, Jon, and Panu!

It seems that the (quite fundamental) redhat-rpm-config config package
could use more maintainer attention. Pull requests tend not to get a reply
from the maintainers, so in the end proven packagers end up merging stuff
[1,2], for better or worse, while other pull requests stall [3,4].

What can we do to improve the situation here? Do you need more maintainers,
should proven packagers just merge stuff if they think it's reasonable?

Personally, I think one step would be to clean up the maintainer list
so that we actually know who is still working on the package.

I don't have answers, but can provide some historical perspective.

redhat-rpm-config has always been problematic to maintain, because it touches on so many things that there's no way a single person or even a single team can meaningfully know, and thus review, it all. Which is why we've tried to split things off to separate maintenance where possible, but there's always more coming in.

It's also that redhat-rpm-config has come far from its humble origins: it originated as a package where Red Hat build policy/configuration is set. Things like vendor name, payload compression etc. But nowadays there are entire ecosystems of utility macros living inside.

Us rpm maintainers generally don't want to be involved in Fedora packaging policies and stuff too deeply, there are SIG's and all who are far better positioned to do the right thing regarding their ecosystem. So at least I have long since given up any pretense of maintaining that package, others are doing a far better job at that. For the most part I'm just watching from the sidelines and commenting if I see something that would be problematic from rpm POV, or better done some other way that maybe people were not aware of (these do happen even if not on daily/weekly basis).

        - Panu -

[1] https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/redhat-rpm-config/pull-request/138
[2] https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/redhat-rpm-config/pull-request/141
[3] https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/redhat-rpm-config/pull-request/121