On 8/19/21 10:59 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
On Tue, Aug 17, 2021 at 08:35:36PM +0000, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
On Tue, Aug 17, 2021 at 06:53:30PM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
On Tue, Aug 17, 2021 at 03:37:01PM +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:
It's also that redhat-rpm-config has come far from its humble
origins: it originated as a package where Red Hat build
policy/configuration is set. Things like vendor name, payload
compression etc. But nowadays there are entire ecosystems of utility
macros living inside.

/usr/lib/rpm/macros.d/macros.dwz
/usr/lib/rpm/macros.d/macros.fedora-misc
/usr/lib/rpm/macros.d/macros.fedora-misc-srpm
/usr/lib/rpm/macros.d/macros.forge
/usr/lib/rpm/macros.d/macros.ldc-srpm
/usr/lib/rpm/macros.d/macros.ldconfig
/usr/lib/rpm/macros.d/macros.mono-srpm
/usr/lib/rpm/macros.d/macros.nodejs-srpm
/usr/lib/rpm/macros.d/macros.valgrind-srpm
/usr/lib/rpm/macros.d/macros.vpath

I think some of these should be moved to *-srpm-macros packages.  The
languages already did that (eg. ocaml-srpm-macros).

We could should move *some* of those out, in particular macros.forge,
but most of the files are really tiny, a few lines excluding comments.
So it probably wouldn't be worth the overhead to create separate
packages for them. I think that keeping them here is the best option.

So… to to proceed with this? Should proven packagers merge pull requests
that don't have any negative comments? Neal and Tom volunteered help
in the other part of the thread: should they be added as comaintainers?

I'd also be happy to help, but that said... I wonder if we couldn't ask
the FPC to take it over? Or would that be too slow/too many people to
get things done? Just thinking that they should know the pending
guidelines and what macros make sense, etc.

What an awesome idea, +1 to that.

Us rpm folks will want to keep an eye on it as before for technical sanity etc, but other than that I thinkt the FPC managing it would seem pretty ideal to me.

        - Panu -