Maxwell G via devel kirjoitti 24.11.2021 klo 2.11:
Hi,

On Tuesday, November 23, 2021 1:37:36 PM CST Steve Grubb wrote:
Hello,

I am preparing to migate a F35 system to new hardware and was sanity checking
the whole system. One thing I found was that there are a number of system
directories that that are not owned by the package that uses them:

/var/cache/ibus
/var/cache/PackageKit
/var/cache/cups
/var/log/anaconda
/var/lib/tpm2-tss
/var/lib/machines
/var/lib/hsqldb
/var/lib/cs
/var/lib/rpcbind
/var/lib/portables
/etc/module-build-service
/etc/default
/etc/pesign
/etc/ipa
/etc/ndctl
/etc/flatpak

Yes,  I have also noticed issues with directory ownership. However, I am not
sure what the rules are about packages owning directories under `/var/cache` or
`/var` in general.  I can tell you that the `filesystem` package owns
`/var/cache` itself:

```
$ rpm -qf /var/cache
filesystem-3.14-7.fc35.x86_64
```

The guidelines do not have any special discussion of /var or its subdirectories, so all the usual rules apply.

However, for /var/cache and /var/log subdirectories at least, I may be that the package does not actually place any files to those directories. I that case the %ghost directive can be used to flag a path as "at runtime, this path may be created; if so, it is owned by this package". I do not see anything about that in the guidelines, though. Perhaps there should be an entry about that, too?

By the way, some of those have already been fixed in Rawhide, for example PackageKit [1].

[1]: https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/PackageKit/c/7b07cba28db86c0983ec51caaf33868f598fb3dd?branch=rawhide

There are also some directories that are owned by multiple packages, e.g. shell
completions packages[1,2], instead of none at all.

This is allowed by the guidelines, in certain cases at least.

In general, the current guidelines regarding directory ownership are terribly unclear. Some time ago, I submitted a pull request to explain everything more clearly [2]. I am not sure why it is not being merged, as I have addressed all feedback that has been given.

[2]: https://pagure.io/packaging-committee/pull-request/1061