On 12/29/21 13:21, Sebastian Crane wrote:
Why would you need to move the rpmdb?  Users probably aren't
installing rpm packages in containers at run time (particularly if
/usr is read-only); installation typically happens when building the
container image, at which point /usr isn't read-only.
I do actually install RPM package inside containers, but in my case
I'm using containers more as short-lived virtual machines for testing
than as a deployment mechanism. That said, I don't think that this
nullifies your point, as I'm not using a read-only /usr inside these
containers.

Yeah, that was poorly worded.  Sorry.  What I meant was simply that containers don't seem to be a unique use case.  If a container has a writable /usr, then that should be a suitable location for the rpmdb.  And if the container's /usr is read-only, then the rpmdb doesn't need to be in /var.