Hello.

My name is Lumír and I maintain a few layered container images in Fedora/RHEL/upstream related to Python and S2I (source to image) platform - namely python3, s2i-core, and s2i-base.

TL;DR: We (maintainers of layered container images for languages, runtimes and databases) are considering migrating our images from Fedora infrastructure and Fedora containers registry somewhere else. Below are the reasons for that. If you think it’s a bad idea, let us know why. If you are a user of those images, let us know as well so we can stay in touch with you.

Forgive me for my wording but I’m really sad about the current situation.

I have to honestly admit that I’m disappointed about the lack of attention containers in Fedora are getting. Maintaining them is painful, infrastructure is unstable and unreliable and there was literally no movement forward in recent years. Let me summarize it.

Container SIG is inactive. See important issues opened for years with no movement further: https://pagure.io/ContainerSIG/container-sig/issues

Even a simple task like merging rawhide branch to f35 for example is far from smooth because they are never the same, because manual changes are required for each branch: https://pagure.io/ContainerSIG/container-sig/issue/16 (3 years old, no reply)

S2I container images depend on each other (python3 -> s2i-base -> s2i-core) but there is no automation for chain rebuilds so if I want to update s2i-core image (to fix a CVE or something like that) and all dependant images, it takes weeks because I have to rebuild them one by one and let them one by one pass through Bodhi updates until I can rebuild next one in the queue. And it’s really frustrating given the insufficient stability of the infra. There seems to be a way how to make this faster, but nobody knows, how it works: https://pagure.io/ContainerSIG/container-sig/issue/52 and https://github.com/containerbuildsystem/atomic-reactor/issues/1730

The same applies also if the fix is done on the RPM level because there are no freshmaker nor automated rebuilds.

The branching structure does not really fit container needs. I maintain the s2i Python container and I don’t really care whether it’s based on Fedora 34 or 35 (both have Python 3.10 as the main one) so I’d ideally have one branch for Python 3.10, one for 3.9 etc. instead of two separated branches (f34, f35) where the Python is the same version. https://pagure.io/ContainerSIG/container-sig/issue/12 (3 years old)

An example of unstable infrastructure: I’m not able to build an image for three weeks now and a response I got is to report the problem upstream: https://pagure.io/fedora-infrastructure/issue/10437 I know that nothing is 100% reliable but if you take a look at these issues, there are a lot of them: https://pagure.io/fedora-infrastructure/issues?search_pattern=container&status=Closed And it seems that the packages in the infrastructure are outdated a lot: https://github.com/containerbuildsystem/atomic-reactor/issues/1742#issuecomment-1009279161

If we migrate our container images to some other registry (e.g. a common fedora space on quay.io), we’ll be able to rebuild them after every merged PR or every week, do chain rebuilds and push them to the registry directly from Github CI. This will make our lives significantly easier, and in turn our images better.

Are there any benefits to using Fedora infrastructure and Fedora containers registry which I don’t see that we should consider?

Lumír