On 2/16/22 18:05, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Wed, 2022-02-16 at 14:20 -0500, Steven A. Falco wrote:
>> On 2/16/22 01:58 PM, Dan Horák wrote:

>>> as often, it depends :-)
>>>
>>> - what's the severity level of the CVEs?
>>> - does KiCad 6 come with substantial changes like UI redesign,
>>> compatibility issues with previous release, etc?
>>
>> The vulnerability is rated as "7.8 -
>> CVSS:3.0/AV:L/AC:L/PR:N/UI:R/S:U/C:H/I:H/A:H", whatever that means. :-)
>>
>> Basically, attempting to read a malicious file can cause a buffer overflow,
>> and then execute malicious code.
>>
>> KiCad is not suid, so the risk would be to an individual user rather than
>> the whole system.

As shown in https://xkcd.com/1200/, this is not a mitigation in
practice, because most Linux systems are single-user, which means that
a user compromise is effectively equivalent to root compromise

>> KiCad 6 does have UI changes and files it creates cannot be read by KiCad 5
>> or earlier.
>>
>> I contacted upstream, and I know what patches form a part of the solution,
>> but they don't apply cleanly to KiCad 5.  I might be able to sort them out...
>
> The 'ideal' solution is to backport the security fix, yes. If you're
> not able to do this, or find anyone else who can do it for you, I guess
> it kinda becomes a judgment call whether fixing the security issue is
> "worth" the compatibility problems. I don't think we have a definite
> guide/policy to what to do if the optimal solution isn't practical,
> here?

Security researcher here.  My view is that there are some packages for
which the release cycle needs to be that of upstream, even if Fedora
has a different one.  Browser engines and the Linux kernel certainly
fall into that category, and complex desktop software such as KiCad
might as well.  I would rather take the compatibility breakage a bit
early than have an insecure system.

--
Sincerely,
Demi Marie Obenour (she/her/hers)