On 30.03.22 15:31, Sandro Mani wrote:

On 30.03.22 15:26, Neal Gompa wrote:
On Wed, Mar 30, 2022 at 9:25 AM Michael Cronenworth <m...@cchtml.com> wrote:
On 3/30/22 7:38 AM, Sandro Mani wrote:
Hi

What does llvm-mingw mean exactly? FWIW, there is a mingw-llvm package.

Thanks
Sandro

It is a complete, cross-compiling, Windows PE building toolchain[1][2] that uses llvm instead of gcc. The 'mingw-llvm' package is the llvm backend in PE form and not
the complete toolchain.

The main llvm package should be capable of this already, as it's a
retargetable compiler. The clang package provides a clang program
that's capable of this.
This makes me wonder, is mingw-llvm actually useful? I took interest into it way back when I thought it was necessary to get mingw-rust building, but this turned out not to be the case (resp mingw targets are now built directly in the main rust package). So any point in keeping mingw-llvm around?
To add to this: as I understand it's just the llvm backend which could be used on a Windows host, but serve no purpose in cross-compiling from linux to mingw?