On Thu, 2022-04-21 at 10:10 -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 20, 2022 at 6:06 PM Kevin Kofler via devel
> <devel@lists.fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> >
> > Adam Williamson wrote:
> > > Right now it's not entirely clear whether this is considered part of
> > > the Change scope or not. The paragraph about the `uvesafb` driver seems
> > > kind of aspirational and doesn't seem to commit to anything. The
> > > "Benefit to Fedora" section states "Verified modern supported paths for
> > > cases currently handled by vesa/fbdev", but I'm not 100% clear what is
> > > meant by that.
> >
> > IMHO, it is not acceptable to remove the vesa driver without having
> > something like uvesafb to replace it.
>
> I like how I'm being told _not_ to find out where the remaining bugs
> are in our native drivers, and instead preserve something awful for
> eternity.

Well, come on, you're not being "told" anything. Neither me nor Kevin
is your boss. This is a Change proposal, it's sent to this list for
people to discuss it and provide feedback on it. That's what we're
doing.

From my perspective, it's fine to find bugs in native drivers, but if a
user is hitting such a bug and has no obvious way to get around it, we
are in danger of giving them a negative perception of Fedora and losing
them as a user. We know this is not an academic case: we have an active
bug right now where we have two people with NVIDIA cards which do not
work with nouveau, but "basic graphics mode" works (now xorg-x11-drv-
vesa has been fixed). Is that going to get fixed in the next few days?
If not, Fedora 36 will ship that way, and anyone with one of those
cards is going to be grateful that "basic graphics mode" exists.

I'm also not sure I agree it's clear that we'd find more bugs if the
fallback path didn't exist. People don't usually just boot straight in
"basic graphics mode", after all. They try a regular boot, and if it
fails, maybe they try "basic graphics mode". So they already *know*
there's a bug - and at least this way we give them a working system and
maybe they'd be more motivated to file the bug than if we just leave
them stuck. We *do* get bug reports when this happens, it's not like we
never hear about these experiences.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA