>  > I would rather have our shared maintenance and evolution of font stuff be
> reused in Java too...
>
> This is holy grail we have been pursuing for last 10 years.  But now we gave
> up. To keep java alive in Fedora, we have to take this one step back.

Why did you give up?

>  > This case appears different in that Fedora is still building the binaries
> in one release stream,
>
> Right. Thanx for describing it.
>  > certification; form same email as abvoe two huks, from  Daniel P. Berrangé.
>  > + Why do we need such certification? Fedora is a separate distribution,
> not related to Oracle at all.
>
> To call build of OpenJDK java, each binary ahve to pas TCK(as mentioned in
> thread).

At one point AdoptOpenJDK distributed binaries that were not tested
against the TCK (https://dzone.com/articles/an-overview-on-jdk-vendors).
>  > Is there an actual contractual requirement for Fedora to distribute
> OpenJDK builds only after they have passed the TCK?  That's just impossible
> with the Fedora build system, and we would have to remove OpenJDK from Fedora
> to comply.
>
> I'm not sure I follow. Why would we need to remove OpenJDK from fedora to
> comply? The only issue I see is the Rawhide. But considering it is not
> officially released.. It should be ok.
> Each build we pass to updates, we are bound to prove it passes TCK. As we
> control environment, we are usually able to do so.
> Runing them is mandatory. The results reporting is on demand.  The simple
> rename is not so easy. I "m afraid that striping all "java" from bnaries and
> thus from sources is maybe possbel to be done, but  human impossible to
> maintian, and
> will leave JDK mostly not working, and for sure useless and incomaptible with
> other javas.

Why is running the TCK such a burden?  Is it due to hardware
resource limitations?  Do we really need to claim that
we are Java SE compatible?

> One of the side steps of this proposal is to be more compatible with other
> javas.
>

>  > If current maintainers can't continue maintaining the well-packaged
> OpenJDK, I think it's time to retire it. It would be better
> Yes, we can no longer maintian it. And I must contradict you - Seeing all the
> dependencies, we really need them all. Loosing any  one, wiould kill java
> ecosystemin Fedora.

Is this purely because of the TCK requirement?  If so, I would prefer
that Fedora ship an uncertified binary, or ship both a certified
static binary and an uncertified dynamic binary, with the latter
being the default.

--
Sincerely,
Demi Marie Obenour (she/her/hers)