Timothée Ravier <si...@fedoraproject.org> writes:

>> As we've talked about before, it's not possible to make updates
>> transactional.  It involves, per spec and depending on processor
>> architecture, updating multiple files in different directories,
>> potentially on different filesystems entirely, one of which is fat32.
>
> I should probably have used only 'safe' here. My understanding of the
> "fallback work" was that with it, we could do updates automatically and retry
> them after failures without risking ending up in a state where we have no
> working bootloader. The update process would look like this:
> 1. Verify current bootloader hash
> 2. Fix it if not good
> 3. Copy current version to fallback
> 4. Update bootloader to new version
>
> What I've indeed forgotten to specify is that this only applies to EFI (so
> probably only x86 & aarch64) for now as that's what's implemented in bootupd.
>
> Am I missing something?

Bootloaders are not single files.  Consider UEFI:

For grub2, there's both a .efi and some configuration that I'll handwave
for purposes of this conversation.  For shim, it's more like 4 things -
the main shim*64.efi, fallback.efi, boot.efi, and boot.csv.  These all
serve different purposes, and need to get loaded from specific parts of
the ESP.  (Recall here that fat32 doesn't have symlinks, either.)

While I think it will surprise no one that I don't agree with doing so,
bootupd claims the additional goal of supporting Legacy BIOS.  For that,
you also need to consider updates to the MBR, which isn't a file at all.

Be well,
--Robbie