On Tue, Nov 15, 2022, at 12:00 PM, Robbie Harwood wrote:

> If your model doesn't permit the system to cease execution during
> bootloader updates, then I'm not sure why you need bootupd at all -
> traditional RPM updating will work just fine (assuming the A/B change
> we've been talking about).  But the "Questions and answers" section
> doesn't read that way to me: it mentions that "forcibly pulling the
> power during OS updates" is a case ostree wants to support and doesn't
> explicitly negate that for the bootloader.

There's lots of nuance going on here.  What both bootupd and your shim
prototype are doing is effectively moving the "payload" into /usr and not have
RPM directly writing to /efi (or /boot/efi, wherever it's mounted).

This also then directly leads into a next issue:
https://github.com/coreos/bootupd/issues/50
Basically, `rpm -q shim` becomes a lie - or at least, starts to mean something
else[1].
So part of the role of bootupd here is just to become the API to query and
manage state.  It is also kind of aiming to abstract out the differences across
platforms, i.e. we were discussing bringing BIOS and PReP under management too
in https://github.com/coreos/bootupd/issues/398

So basically the rationale for bootupd is to become a (relatively thin) layer
for managing this stuff since it is decoupled from the kernel+rootfs lifecycle
(but, delivered inside that).

[1]  In a similar vein of course, `rpm -q kernel` can often be a lie after live
updates but before rebooting, and similar for userspace services that aren't
restarted or old libraries loaded.  But, admins have known about those for a
long time, or if they don't they learn the hard way.