On  2023-02-18 08:23, John Reiser wrote:
About once per year I find it necessary or convenient to use /usr/bin/alien
(provided by Fedora package alien-8.95-18.fc36.noarch, for instance)
to import one or more Debian .deb package into Fedora as .rpm.
I don't see how this could work with the proposed change,
unless 'alien' is significantly enhanced.

alien would produce an rpm package that did not have versioned Requirements, just like it does today, and those package requirements would be satisfied by Fedora packages, regardless of the fact that they provide a version.