On Mon, Apr 24, 2023, at 12:15 PM, Ben Cotton wrote:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/BiggerESP

> This change will increase the minimum size of the ESP to be 500MB,
> which is also the same value used by Microsoft for Windows 10 and
> newer.

Issue 1:  Currently anaconda calls mkdosfs on the ESP without any options and
historically are reluctant to add non-default mkfs options. By default, mkdosfs
will create a FAT 16 file system on a 500M (either SI or IEC units). The UEFI
spec clearly prefers FAT 32 for the ESP on built-in drives. To my knowledge
there haven't been any FAT 16 related bugs reported during the many years
Fedora created FAT 16 ESPs. But it's probably better to create it as FAT 32.

I don't know where the cutoff is in the mkdosfs code, but a 512MiB (IEC units)
does result in a FAT 32 file system. So you might make it 512MiB.

Issue 2: Last I checked (about 12 months ago), Windows 10 and 11 images from
microsoft.com were still creating ~99M (I forget which units, and it may have
been 100). That's consistent with:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/configure-uefigpt-based-hard-drive-partitions?view=windows-11

"The minimum size of this partition is 100 MB, and must be formatted using the
FAT32 file format."

So I'm not sure if Microsoft got the memo, and it's actually vendors' OEM
images that are using large ESP size?

--
Chris Murphy