> Am 01.06.2023 um 15:25 schrieb Jiri Vanek <jva...@redhat.com>:

> Me, as end user application provider would rather `dnf install/update java`
> then maintain 3rd aprty blob. At least the java is known to be working and on
> Fedora and is built by trusted infrastructure (which I case to agree for
> every other vendor). And I need all four javas as are currently shipped in
> fedora.
> Me, as fedora dummy user do not care. I need system jdk working.
> Me, as fedora advanced user do not want to solve fedora-specific issues.
> Me as jdk maintainer cares, just count:
> jdk 8,11,17, latest and 21 - 5jdks. For 3-4 live fedoras. Each with 4
> platforms. Lets skip the platforms, but they still count to both HW and human
> cycles.
> That is  12-20 jdk binary builds per platform which have to be certified
> If we build once and repack, that would be just 4-5  binaries which needs to
> be certified.
> If we would keep just system jdk then it  will not help at all:
> - we have to keep java-latest-openjdk because its bleeding edge technology
> which fedora shoudl provide
> - next LTS, and thus next system jdk is always forked from
> java-latest-openjdk => you have *two* jdks on 3-4 systems every time (thus
> 6-8 certifications)
> - the system JDK is not constant but shifts. In worst scenario there will be
> 3 system JDKs in 3 live fedoras, but msot likely there will be indeed 1-2
> system JDKS. But that is still twho from above + 1-2 from this line, and thus
> we are back on maintaining 3-4JDKS on 3-4 fedoras:(

From view of the Fedora Server Working Group I very much agree. Fedora Server
is aimed at productive use, not merely as a toy or experimental kit for the
latest software. Therefore we need software build on Fedora controlled
infrastructure, with Fedora QA, etc. And we need backwards compatibility and
support for older hardware. And that's no contradiction to Fedora's goal of
always providing the latest software - as some like to claim.

And it is a great advantage that all practically essential Java versions, and
even 1.8, are available. This also corresponds to the "spirit" of Java as
"enterprise grade“

And if the proposed change ensures that, then +1

(And from my impression so far, it does. Nevertheless remaining a bit
uncomfortable - server admins do not like unnecessary changes to mission
critical components.)

--
Peter Boy
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Pboy

Timezone: CET (UTC+1) / CEST /UTC+2)

Fedora Server Edition Working Group member
Fedora Docs team contributor and board member
Java developer and enthusiast