On Thu, Jun 29, 2023 at 9:18 AM Marcin Juszkiewicz
<mjuszkiew...@redhat.com> wrote:

> W dniu 29.06.2023 o 14:57, David Both pisze:
> > I have noticed that uw-imap is no longer in the Fedora repo and that the
> > last was F33. I like it far better than the other options because it is
> > the IMAP server that best "does one things and does it well." It also
> > requires the least amount of configuration and it just works so it also
> > meets the KISS test.
>
> UW IMAP development ended in 2008. Development of Panda IMAP (successor)
> ended in 2012 when Mark Crispin died.
>
> https://github.com/jonabbey/panda-imap holds complete public history.
>
> I would rather go Dovecot rather than revive 11 years old project. Did
> setup of it once, about 10 years, and it serves my private mail since then.

uw-imap got pretty weird, with Mark Crispin getting very, very upset
and accusing people of stealing his university's code if they merely
*pointed to* off-shore repositories where SSL patches were published
and could be legally imported without running into US export laws. He
had SSL hooks which he refused to publish, except for his university's
internal use. The arguments got *weird*, and heated, and some of us
were very grateful to be able to switch to dovecot and avoid the
issues.

David, have you tried dovecot as a "simple IMAP server"?