On Thu, Jul 20, 2023 at 3:46 PM Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
<zbys...@in.waw.pl> wrote:

> Stephen Gallagher proposed a change to FESCo voting rules [1].

This will be helpful to people who aren't regularly involved in FESCo
votes. If that's you: the proposal presented here is largely
clarification. There's not much in the way of substance change.

I did notice that the "fast track" voting mechanism fell out. I think
that's worth preserving.

Also, the proposal says "eligible voters" a lot. Let's replace it with
"FESCo members" to make it more clear that it's not a wide-open vote.
If you really want, you can say "eligible FESCo members", but there's
not been any case that I'm aware of where a FESCo member was
ineligible to vote on something, so adding that word inserts
unnecessary complexity.

> Change ticket is assumed to be a a formal proposal upon creation.

Duplicate "a"

> An official vote in a ticket must be one of +1, -1 as defined herein:

I suggest striking "as defined herein" for simplicity. Also you may
want to include 0 in the sentence since it's in the list that follows.

> At the end of one week, if a ticket has at least 3 votes of +1 and no
> votes of -1, it is approved and may proceed with implementation. If
> there is at least one -1 vote, the ticket must be added to the
> upcoming meeting agenda and subject to the Meeting Votes rules.

I'd make that "…and is subject…"

> A proposal must achieve a majority (at least 51%) of +1 votes from
> eligible voters. Votes must be one of +1, 0 or -1 as defined herein:

s/as defined herein/g :-)

>     +1 I am in favor of the proposal as currently written.
>
>     0 I am electing to remove myself from the list of eligible
>     voters. This reduces the denominator of the fraction required to
>     achieve the 51% majority. In effect, I am agreeing to vote with
>     the remaining majority, whatever they decide.
>
>     -1 I am opposed to the proposal as currently written.

This largely duplicates the definitions for in-ticket votes. It might
be better to just refer to that and add the special meaning of 0.
Something like:

A proposal must achieve a majority (at least 51%) of +1 votes from
eligible voters. Votes must be one of +1, 0 or -1 as described in
Ticket votes. In a meeting vote, a vote of 0 reduces the denominator
of the fraction required to achieve the 51% majority. In effect, it
says "I am agreeing to vote with the remaining majority, whatever they
decide."

--
Ben Cotton (he/him)
TZ=America/Indiana/Indianapolis