On Fri, 25 Aug 2023 at 19:26, Marcus Müller <mar...@hostalia.de> wrote:
> I fully agree with that assessment. "Here's a knob you turn that has the
> potential to make
> your firmware update 2s faster and is generally good for the ecosystem, but
> you will have
> set it on every machine you set up" will not lead to significant deployment.

Agree.

> Question: I presume you only want to share the metadata, and never downloaded
> fw images,
> right?

I think for phase 1 that's completely correct.

> If that's the case, it'd alleviate a lot of the privacy concerns I'd have
> with my
> laptop sharing with a campus network all of the devices for which I've lately
> downloaded
> firmware.

There are concerns with sharing firmware, I totally agree. It's
non-free software (which you have permission to redistribute, but
still unpalatable for many) -- the compromise I've done for people
changing the default to "metadata,firmware" is that you need to reboot
into the new firmware before the published firmware gets shared; on
the logic that you don't want to advertise to the world that you're
currently running insecure firmware.

> Can I suggest we make this at most a "Recommends:" dependence for fwupd in
> any case, so
> that one might uninstall passim without disabling fwupd?

Yes, that's what I have right now. I do need to split out a
passim-libs so that you can remove the daemon and just leave the tiny
client library.

> I'd actually love if I knew of a way my fedora containers could automagically
> find
> local package and metadata sources. Knowing that "change dnf to pull data from
> mDNS-announced sources *by default*" is a big change, flying the fwupd
> balloon first seems
> very attractive to me.

Yup, totally agree. I think it's a nice self contained test that if
successful we could extend out to DNF metadata and other container-y
stuff.

Richard.