On Mon, 28 Aug 2023 at 11:05, Petr Pisar <ppi...@redhat.com> wrote:
> V Fri, Aug 25, 2023 at 07:34:35PM +0100, Richard Hughes napsal(a):
> > you need to reboot into the new firmware before the published firmware gets
> > shared;
> Won't this suppress an effeciency of the local sharing?

Yes -- but it's a compromise between efficiency and also broadcasting
to the network that you've just downloaded a firmware with a security
fix and the firmware you're running right now can be attacked.

> If a typical period
> between a download and the reboot is significantly longer than a period in
> which machines check for and download the firmaware, it will happen that all
> machines will sepearately download the firmware from a central server instead
> of downloading it from local peers. Because all the machines will be waiting
> on the reboot.

Yes, that's certainly fair -- although I hope that at least one person
would reboot straight away given it's a security update.

> For how long is the firmware adveritised? As long as it is advertised, people
> know what version you are currently running. This information becomes
> interesting when a new firmware is released. Then you have exactly the same
> problem you want to address.

It's up to the thing publishing -- for the case of firmware payload
(which is a default off option) it's 30 days for firmware and 24 hours
for metadata (which would be default on).

Richard