On Tue, 26 Sept 2023 at 03:16, Neal Gompa <ngomp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So a stopgap solution was implemented: appstream-data. Richard Hughes
> maintains a local mirror of the full Fedora repositories and generates
> the appstream data from that using scripts[1] and extra data[2] to
> produce the appstream-data package[3].

That's a really good writeup, thanks. Note, I'm not the only person
who can generate metadata, and I'd *love* someone to take over the
task if they've got more time than me. We used to build the new
metadata weekly, but it's slipped to monthly, if that frequently.

The storage requirement of a "full mirror" is ~8G for centos and ~720G
for Fedora -- and although NVMe is faster, I use an external HDD. You
can also generate the metadata on laptop-class hardware -- it takes
about an hour per release or an order of magnitude faster with fast
NMVe and server class hardware. I've not tried to use
appstream-compose yet, but it might work.

Ideally this is something that could be picked up by release
engineering, but I've fought that battle and lost each time. C'est la
vie.

Richard.