Hello.
I won't be running for the Fedora Engineering Steering Committee this time. Several folks already asked me why, so I decided to write it down and share it on this list.

*I am tired.* When I joined FESCo 5 years ago, I had the enthusiasm and energy. I spent a lot of time working on Fedora. After working hours (mostly spent on Fedora) I was still eager to dive deeper and do more Fedora things. That is no longer the case. An hour-long FESCo IRC meeting at 19:00 no longer excites me. It makes me sleepy. And when it runs over, it makes me feel exhausted. When presented with an opportunity to sit in a couch and watch a movie with my spouse (or take a nap) instead, it's harder and harder for me to choose Fedora.

It has always been a matter of balance: I dedicated my time and energy and I got something in return. Excitement for new things, joy of getting things done... Which brings me to a second reason: *It is no longer rewarding.* Honestly, it doesn't feel like we are steering anything. Arguing whether we should use a particular compiler flag or drop X11 from KDE is not joyful. And those are the controversial topics. The rest feels like rubber stamping tickets or forever postponing Fedora changes approved years ago. Looking back, either we used to discuss things that mattered to me more, or I started to care less. Either way, it is no longer fun to FESCo at nights and weekends.

Unfortunately, *I don't have time to steer Fedora during my working hours.* The number of Python packages in Fedora grows every release, and updating Python to a new major version is a year-long challenge for two Red Hat engineers. The technical debt is increasing, while new ideas are dormant. The more Pythons are added to more RHELs, the more CVEs need to be fixed, the more people leave, the fewer people in our team have time to do essential Fedora package maintenance. The pile keeps growing. I must limit my work duties before I crack, and FESCo seems to be the only remaining non-essential one šŸ˜ž

Lastly, *I feel lost.* Multiple people I enjoyed working with (were) moved away. The communication channels I am comfortable with are slowly replaced witch things that make me anxious. A new 2028 Fedora strategy is shaping, yet it is barely visible to me because it happens "somewhere else". I could try harder, but given the other reasons I probably won't.

I enjoyed being at FESCo, but I need a break.

--
Miro Hrončok