On Tue, Jan 30, 2024 at 08:38:51AM -0500, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> 3) Fedora has a long-standing and well-communicated stance that we are
> a Wayland distribution first and foremost and that X11 support is
> intended as a migration-support tool rather than a first-class
> citizen.

Does it?  This is very much news to me, so I don't think you can call
it "well-communicated".  We also have an XFCE desktop spin and
probably others that require X11.
https://fedoraproject.org/uk/spins/xfce/

In addition Wayland doesn't actually replace all the basic
functionality of X11 even after all these years, which is why I need
to use it.

> 4) There was a comment on the FESCo ticket to the effect of '"you must
> move to Wayland because no one maintains X11!". Here are some people
> who are maintaining X11 packages, so let them do their thing.' This is
> misleading, as the move to Wayland is specifically because the
> upstream of X11 *itself* is largely unmaintained. These packages are
> not maintaining X11, they are adding new dependencies on it.

They're maintaining parts of the X11 stack.

> My proposal for consideration is this:
> "FESCo will allow these packages in the main Fedora repositories,
> however they may not be included by default on any release-blocking
> deliverable (ISO, image, etc.)"

It seems quite strong.  I'm unclear why having X11 packages and spins
for those that want to use them is a problem.  It seems like the
missing functionality of Wayland is the bigger issue that needs to be
addressed.

Rich.