On Thu, 4 Apr 2024 at 11:22, Arnie T via devel <
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > There's no such thing as a "distro decision" on this one, as was
> > explained in the thread already.
>
> I'm sure the 'explanation' is all clear to you and the other Developers.
>
> I'm also sure that it's not all that clear to non-Developers.
>
> If the explanation was clear and obvious to me, here or anywhere ales, I
> wouldn't be asking the question.
>
> So, sorry, I guess.
>
> I guess I don't understand how a Distro decision is different from a
> Distro IN-decision.

Linux distributions are generally 'collective anarchies' where most
packages are up to the individual packagers to support how they want
things. 'Collectively' they will elect some group who will work out various
high level things like 'where should the files go?' 'how should the files
be packaged', 'what should we call ourselves', etc. These decisions may
override what the upstream (aka the people who write the compiler, kernel,
compression libraries, graphics, etc) but again it is usually a compromise.

How a decision to drop xz for some other compression library for software
would be a fairly slow process. First a person who is willing to do the
work would come up with a proposal on why it should be done and how it
could be done. They would be expected to also test to see how much trouble
this would be (aka find all the packages which use xz and could be changed
to another library, which ones couldn't and what the effects would be.)
Once that is done, they would make a general proposal to be reviewed by
whatever technical committee a distribution has (Fedora has one whose
acronym is FESCO, Debian has another or multiple others, etc). This would
be reviewed and if accepted it would go as a future release work with a
staged plan where some packages are moved in X release, some in X+1, and
some final plan for X+2 (or backed out completely for some reason before
then). There would be some amount of software which would rely on xz no
matter what because either the upstream has no interest in changing or it
is meant to use xz period.

Usually this would take a key person to drive it who understands the
problem and a team of people who would be interested in actually doing the
work. Without that the change will move slowly over many releases like the
licensing change to SPDR.

This is how a change would happen if it were decided to be done. At the
moment the distributions are first trying to figure out a couple of more
important things:
0. What happened?
1. What else might have been affected
2. What projects that are also in similar straights
3. What can be done to help these projects (is it inside our sphere of
control or influence).
4. What is a list of things that need to change.
N. Is moving off of these projects needed or possible?

Currently most groups are between 0 and 1. There are a lot of things which
need to be looked at before moving off can be looked at as a goal to make
sure we aren't making things worse.

I hope the above helps

--
Stephen Smoogen, Red Hat Automotive
Let us be kind to one another, for most of us are fighting a hard battle.