On Thursday 20 June 2024 15:48:55 BST Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 20, 2024 at 03:24:18PM +0100, Tom Hughes via devel wrote:
>
> > On 20/06/2024 15:03, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> >

> > > Honestly, I'd like to pitch that we retarget Fedora at x86_64-v3 (yes,
> > > three) and recommend creation of a Fedora "Hardware Life Extension"
> > > Remix that can provide rebuilds of (a subset of) Fedora that they want
> > > to run on ancient hardware. It could be something similar to Fedora
> > > ELN, where a subset of the main repo that might be useful on old
> > > hardware can be rebuilt (though unlike ELN, I suggest that this should
> > > be an entirely separate infrastructure not maintained by the Fedora
> > > Project). Such a project could then live or die based on willingness
> > > to maintain it and stop holding back Fedora as a whole.
> >

> > I definitely think going to v2 would be reasonable bit I tink
> > forcing v3 might be a step too far.
>

> If going to v3, compared v2....
>
> For AMD, we would loose Opteron Gen4 and Opteron Gen5 models, but
> keep EPYC/Ryzen all generations.
>
> For Intel, we would loose Denverton, IvyBridge, Nehalem,
> SandyBridge, Snowridge, Westmere, but keep Skylake,
> SapphireRapids, Icelake, Haswell, GraniteRapids, Cooperlake,
> Cascadelake, Broadwell.

Note that this list is only accurate for Core and Xeon branded processors;
these microarchitectures were also used for Celeron and Pentium branded
processors that have stuck to x86-64v1.

> Personally I'd say v2 is the better first step, as plenty of
> those generations we'd loose are still pretty relevant, even
> if not the state of the art shipping today.

For Pentium and Celeron branded processors, v2 also loses Skylake, Icelake,
Haswell,  Cometlake, Broadwell and others, even when their matching Core
branded processors support x86-64v2 or x86-64v3.

That means that you lose all Pentium Silver processors, including the latest
releases in that line, all Pentium Gold processors released before 2022, and
all Celeron processors released before 2020.

Intel's use of ISA for product line segmentation has made this all a big mess
:-(

 https://libvirt.org         -o-