On Thursday 20 June 2024 16:37:24 BST Tom Hughes wrote:
> On 20/06/2024 16:34, Simon Farnsworth wrote:
> > For Pentium and Celeron branded processors, v2 also loses Skylake,
> > Icelake,
> > Haswell,  Cometlake, Broadwell and others, even when their matching Core
> > branded processors support x86-64v2 or x86-64v3.
> >
> > That means that you lose all Pentium Silver processors, including the
> > latest releases in that line, all Pentium Gold processors released before
> > 2022, and all Celeron processors released before 2020.
>
> I have a Celeron N3160 which is a 2016 processor bought by me
> in 2019 and that reports as v2.
>
> Tom

Argh Intel. The Celeron 5305U from 2020 is a x86-64v1 CPU, because it's a cut-
down variant of the Core i3-10110U (which is v2), but the Celeron N series is
different yet again - the N3160 is v2, but the N4020 is v1 based on Intel's
documentation.

So it's not even enough to go on branding + model numbers, since higher model
numbers are sometimes a lower microarchitecture level than lower ones, even in
the same branding.

Simon