On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 02:59:09AM +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:
> because the same hostname can have A and AAA records
> and the people commonly use ping (sysadmins) must be
> able to decide what they will test?

Use -4 -or -6 parameters if you care to force one vs. the other.

> most times you ping a hostname and with the same command
> you would have to use an extra parameter, not easier/clearer

I disagree.  In some cases you might only care that either/or
IPv4/IPv6 works to reach a hostname.  Right now, you would need to run
both commands and wrap logic around that in order to script a test for
connectivity.

Also, there is precedent to using -4 and -6 for this purpose.  Do you
propose we add telnet6, ftp6, ssh6, etc commands?  I think not, but if
you did care to have a special IPv6 version of a command that had a -6
option, you could always wrap command -6 in a script called command6.

Finally, at some point people will care more about IPv6 and less about
IPv4, and then the command6 versions will just be extra typing for no
good reason.

I do miss -4 and -6 options for the telnet and ftp commands though.
That would be nice to have.