On 01/24/2012 02:59 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:

> But a fully rolling release just cannot work (and this is also why all those
> "just use Rawhide if you want the latest", "usable Rawhide" etc. suggestions
> are fundamentally flawed). Yes, there are distros doing this, but they all
> have one thing in common: doing a migration like the KDE 4 migration is a
> big PITA in them.

  Moving any large change has challenges - whether periodic or rolling.

  In that sense, they are no different - both can be a PITA.

  However, in a rolling model you have the advantage of it being the
-only- change you need to do .. which is far less an issue than the
compound change impact .. and many more people can explore the testing
repo with only that one single change, which allows kinks to be worked
out sooner.

   I know you've held this view a while however - when you guys created
kde-redhat to allow fedora stable users to explore the 'new kde stuff' -
that is exactly how a rolling release works. You've actually been doing
it already .. .. :-)

  Now if Adam W. would just step up again and offer to drive this
forward .. Adam?