On 24/01/12 12:24, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 11:23:14AM +0000, mike cloaked wrote:
Fedora would appear to be out of line in not taking on board the
potential user base for a rolling release version.  For servers there
would be huge advantages in management of systems.

I doubt your claims here.

Fedora already has a perfectly good rolling release.  It's called
Rawhide, and I run it on my laptop.  I'd be nuts to run it on a
server.

I run Debian Testing (a rolling "release") on my desktop machine. I wouldn't recommend it for servers either, but I find it roughly as stable as Fedora releases. Why? Because the equivalent of Rawhide in Debian is Debian Unstable and packages have to be critical-bug-free in Unstable for a time before they graduate to Testing.

If there was a rolling repository like this sitting between Rawhide and Fedora N+1 then I'd most certainly use it. As it is, I'm quite happy using Fedora 16 on my laptop until 17 is released.

Andy