On Sat, May 4, 2013 at 10:27 PM, Adam Williamson <awill...@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2013-05-04 at 13:20 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
>
>> That's it. So far as I can see, that's the sole reference to any actual
>> identifiable study. And again, so far as I can see, the entire 2009
>> debate spiraled out from that single post, with lots of 'experts' adding
>> their subjective $0.02 on either side (mostly against), but no-one
>> actually adding any kind of useful empirical research.
>
> The other link I've seen cited in favour of the change -
> http://uxmovement.com/forms/why-password-masking-can-hurt-your-sign-up-form/
> - again appears to be solely opinion stated as fact. It's all phrased very
> categorically, but there is no reference I can find to any kind of actual
> evidential backing.

I wanted to stay out of this discussion but if we want to go this
route there you go:

http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?doid=2406367.2406384
http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?doid=1280680.1280683
http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?doid=1968613.1968647
http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?doid=1030083.1030116

The change to display the password as plain text is just wrong (see
studies / papers above ... you can find a lot more of them).

Seriously this changes just papers over another bug "we suck at
keyboard layout selection" ... "fixing" it by showing the password
like that is just wrong.