On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 7:52 PM, Matthew Garrett <mj...@srcf.ucam.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 09, 2013 at 06:49:10PM +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:
>
>> That's correct and you'll find that that's what I've been doing for
>> 2.5+ years now, but we're talking about Primary here... and in primary
>> it's everyone's responsibility...
>
> That's the point. You don't get to be a primary architecture until
> you've demonstrated that doing so won't slow down the other
> architectures
Is that "you don't get to be a primary architecture unless you have
demonstrated that nobody outside of the ARM SIG needs to do any work
on the architecture" == "you don't get to be a primary architecture
unless it doesn't matter whether you are a primary architecture"?

> and that requires you to fix all of these problems
> yourself first.

That's backwards.  For the vast majority of Fedora packagers, ARM
becoming a primary architecture primarily means that every individual
package owner is supposed to fix their packages.

So, in some abstract ideal case, there would be a gradual transition
between an ARM SIG starting the bootstrap effort, and non-ARM package
owners gradually taking care of their packages on ARM as well, with
the experience and knowledge slowly spreading enough so that a switch
to primary when everyone is expected to care eventually becomes a
no-brainer, and the ARM SIG can significantly reduce its scope to
ARM-specific tooling changes.

What you are asking for is the exact opposite: that the ARM SIG
temporarily expands to "own" the ARM aspect of the whole distribution
until there are no ARM bugs, and then to have a "big bang" switchover
to a situation when everyone is supposed to handle their own package
on ARM.
    Mirek