On Mon, 15.07.13 11:11, Miroslav Suchý (msu...@redhat.com) wrote:

> On 07/15/2013 10:44 AM, Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
> >= Proposed System Wide Change: No Default Syslog =
> >https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/NoDefaultSyslog
> >
> >Change owner(s): Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering net>, Matthew
> >Miller <mattdm at fedoraproject org>
> >
> >No longer install a traditional syslog service by default. (Specifically,
> >remove rsyslog from the @core or @standard groups in comps.)
> >
> >The systemd journal will be the default logging solution. Rsyslog, Syslog-NG,
> >and even traditional sysklogd will continue to cover use cases outside of the
> >default.
>
> My voice may be one of thousands, but I'm saying: I want to have
> traditional syslog service as default and have journal from systemd
> as option.

Note that the journal is not optional, since we need it during early
boot, in the initrd, late boot, and because it is connected to all
stdout/stderr of all daemons to collect logs. It is deeply integrated
into service management, to make sure the logs we collect are
comprehensive. Due to this, it cannot be optional. (And yes, even people
who dislike the journal and want nothing to do with it, do benefit from
this, as this makes a lot more data available to their preferred syslog
implementation than was ever before).

Hence, the choice between "journal by default + syslog optional" and
"journal optional + syslog by default" does not exist. The choice
between "journal by default + syslog by default" and "journal by default
+ syslog optional" however does.

But anyway, I'd still like to hear the technical reasoning for the
opinion you expressed.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.