On Mon, 22.07.13 19:33, Reindl Harald (h.rei...@thelounge.net) wrote:

> Am 22.07.2013 18:29, schrieb Lennart Poettering:
> > If you want to centralize system configuration, rather then services,
> > then go ahead and do, that, but actually centralize *the configuration*,
> > not the service. In particular, because a centralized client-side SMTP
> > service is a really questionnable thing on today's Internet where SMTP
> > delivery connections are almost always authenticated by a *user* id
>
> which could be *easy* solved by ask the users SMTP and credentials
> at the installation, setup /etc/aliases as default forwarding the
> messages to this address and configure SASL authentication

The second part of my mail that you conveniently removed actually
explains why that doesn't work: because the SASL auth is inherently
per-user configuration but in sendmail you can configure it only
globally for the client side.

There is a major mismatch between per-user credentials which you need
for SMTP SASL and the per-system instance of sendmail.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.