On 08/25/2013 01:17 AM, Till Maas wrote:
> the comps git repo currently contains comps files for EOL releases,
> which makes "grep" more cumbersome, because one needs to specify the
> current non-EOL releases to grep only in them. Also it makes the default
> make target take unecessarily long, because it build all comps including
> the EOL ones. Therefore I propose to either
>
> - git rm the EOL comps files (old ones if needed can be read from
>   history
>
> or
> - move EOL comps fils to a subdirectory such as EOL/

Or third option:

3) Move to a model where one Fedora branch is one branch in comps

We're currently putting all branches in one tree because of legacy CVS
model that didn't have branches. git now has branches, let's use them.

Switching to a branch based model would make my life easier at least as
then I can cherry pick comps changes I do between different branches.
Right now I have to edit the rawhide file, manually generate a patch,
then apply the patch to the f20 file so that they stay in sync ... lots
of manual work.

I'd like to be able to commit to master, check out the f20 branch, and
'git cherry-pick master'.

This is how I imagine it would look like:

origin/master:
  comps-cleanup.xsl
  comps.dtd
  comps.xml.in <-- the rawhide/f21 version
  comps.rng
  Makefile
  po/
  update-comps

origin/f20:
  comps-cleanup.xsl
  comps.dtd
  comps.xml.in <-- the branched/f20 version
  comps.rng
  Makefile
  po/
  update-comps

For comparison, this is how it currently looks like:

comps-cleanup.xsl
comps.dtd
comps-el4.xml.in
comps-el5.xml.in