On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 8:18 AM, Peter Robinson <pbrobin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 10:04 AM, Richard W.M. Jones <rjo...@redhat.com>
> wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 09:26:36AM +0100, valent.turko...@gmail.com wrote:
>>> So I have three options to suggest to my friend:
>>> - Latest Fedora or Mint but with Vesa driver only, and maybe can't
>>> even get full resolution then
>>> - Old Ubuntu (but still supported) + prorietary drivers
>>> - full blown priprietary - Windows 7 + Intel/PowerVR driver
>>
>> There also exist USB-based GPUs, ie. external GPUs that plug into
>> laptops (or any machine) using USB.
>>
>> Although I don't think it's worth rescuing this "cheap 13" laptop" by
>> spending yet more money on hardware which might have its own driver
>> issues.
>>
>> Probably best to get rid of it on eBay and buy a decent laptop.  The
>> ARM-based Samsung Chromebook is very cheap and runs Fedora.
>
> The ARM laptop will have the same or worse issues in terms of GPU as
> the x86 one.

re: anything with powervr (arm or intel), sadly the best answer is run
away as fast as possible

re: arm chromebooks, well, there is some hope of eventually getting an
open source driver, but it will be a long process.  Currently
gnome-shell and related components in fedora need desktop opengl so
blob driver doesn't help much.  Having more stuff built w/ gles
support would perhaps help.  But at least last time I tried (which
admittedly was a while ago), gnome-shell + llvmpipe was usable on the
exynos5 chromebook.

BR,
-R